Child play

1:14 PM Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »



I encountered Melissa, a 6 year old dutch little girl in the woods in Rotterdam.
I was sitting quietly one summer afternoon under a tree to meditate. Melissa was taking a walk with her parents in the woods as well and simply crept up towards me and sat beside me. When I opened my eyes, I was surprised to see her sitting beside me, watching me. "What are you doing" she asked. "I'm meditating". She did not understand but smiled and went on her way. I walked towards the river bank to do my yoga asanas. Melissa happened to be there as well and once again approached me. "What are you doing now?". "I'm practising yoga." "oh, can I join you?" And together we did several yoga asanas. After that, we got bored and proceeded to the pier. We played for a while together,lying on our bellies on the pier to draw circles in the water, spelling out each other's names. She did several cart wheels and i copied with clumsy somersaults. We were oblivious to the adults drinking beers who sat in a row of tables in a cafe facing the pier. I was just totally myself, playing, carefree with this lovely child. I was present with Melissa and the experience of being present left me with serenity and joy.
Melissa's parents wanted to go home. Before she left, she said "Can you be my friend and may we meet again?" I did not see her again. But, she has left her mark in my heart. I was touched by an angel.

0 comments: