Dear Milo

5:03 PM Posted In Edit This

Dear Milo,

How did you know that we wanted you when we walked into the shelter? You were the only one who sat quietly with your back against the fence while all the others clamoured, called out and tugged at me for my attention. I reached out with my finger through the fence to poke you, but you did not respond. I asked the caretaker to remove you from the fenced up compound to have a closer look at you. You stood quietly as I studied you. My friend said “Do you notice how large his ears are?” . Anyhow, I brought you home because you stood out without even trying. Do you remember in your early days that I promised you a happy and loving home?

It was a gamble which I took as you are going to be Papa’s dog, not mine. I was very nervous when Papa saw you for the first time two years ago. What if he didn’t like you and I don’t have the space to own a dog. Papa told me that this was the first time that he looked forward to returning to Kuala Lumpur and he was eager to meet you. As I drove both Mama and Papa home from Penang, the car was loaded to the brim with suitcases and food to bring to Jin’s house. We collected you at my friend’s place and you had to sit on the floor at the passenger front seat with Papa. Instinctively, you climbed and embraced Pa’s thighs. Papa smiled and stroked your head.

I’ve never told you earlier but you are so right for all of us. We did not know that you are hypoallergenic as Jin is allergic to dogs. Somehow, he did not react to you. Papa and Jin like your behavior because you are the only dog that does not clamor and lick which both of them find annoying. Since the first day that you came, you have never peed nor pooped in the house, on car tyres and within the house compound. I can’t figure out where you learned this as we have never trained you before. You are an excellent guard dog, with your loud bark, yet you knew not to attack any of our guests. You respect the living room area and Jin’s shaggy carpet and carefully walk around it. You walk in tempo with Papa and never struggled or dragged him along. You somehow knew when Papa was not well to walk slower.

I want to thank you for teaching me to respect your space. Like an old English gentleman, you do not like to be smothered. I find you simply irresistible and adorable like a toy with your big round eyes and shaggy hair falling over them, your shiny black button nose, pink tongue and oversized ears – you’re a package made to cuddle. I’ll respect and know where my boundaries are, especially when you want your afternoon naps. I will not disturb you. You protests when the brush gets entangled in your fur, so I know to be more careful and gentle. I want to thank you for not creating a mess in the house when you were ill with stomach flu. You knew without our telling you, to poop in the toilet. You’re not greedy and eat whenever you are fed. Although you are shy in expressing your affection with licks and jumps, we know you like the occasional strokes as you shuffle backwards and rest with your back against our legs. How did you instinctively know that Papa was not well and stood by his bedside? Were you as worried as I was?

You don’t take crap from anyone, thus we learn that you are an individual, a family member and not a dog or a pet. You’ve made coming home a joy with your wagging tail and wide smile. Thank you for loving us in your subtle ways.