Angels without wings

8:29 PM Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
I’ve come to believe that angels come in all shapes, without wings. It takes gratitude to experience and know that they’re around.

I just embarked on my own little business selling nasi lemak and nyonya curries. I’ve received so much encouragement, kind words, equipment, physical help from so many people. I’ve lead a pretty much “secluded” life. My partner Jules, who is blessed and surrounded by friends has spilled over his blessings to me. My family is god send and I think it was good karma that I’ve been lucky to be my parent’s daughter and my brother and sister’s sister.
Jules helped in setting up my stall and it is through his connection that I managed to get this much sought of space.
>

On my first day, my father and brother were present to serve and help. I had a trial on Friday upon my brother’s suggestion – that was clever and my rice turn out to be too soggy. Jules’ colleague Stania called at 9 am to ask if she, Sarah and Fiona could come over to help me out. Then Stania said “but I can’t get up at 9am!”. They came for brunch and were my cheer leaders. I forgot to mention Jules’ best friend Carmen and Koi who generously gave me a large rice cooker, a food warmer, friendship and advice on how to cook nasi lemak and pricing. Carmen and Koi came as well on my first day and give constructive criticism on the rice. I sold out on my first and second day. In Jules absence, we rented a room to a friend Irene. She has been my confidant and extended in this 2 weeks her friendship. She has taken care of the house, walk the dogs, did my laundry. Her company has comforted me.

I’ve met several very good people in the aunties who sell food around the Food Court. They are Aunty Linda who sells drinks, she’s in her 60’s. She works with her sister who is ill. She has a skinny small frame but under that frame is a giant! A heart so generous, kind, helpful and she is physically strong. She has advised me on the code of conduct, helped me to set up my parasol, advised me on government bureaucracy and checked on me daily. On setting up the parasol, there’s a technique to it. I was literally covered by the parasol and fell on my butt from the weight. There’s an another aunty who sells pork stew in her 70’s. She’s beautiful and well groomed. She advised me not to order drinks on behalf of customers as this would anger all the other drinks sellers. (drinks are territorial). She taught me countless things and introduced me to a good chicken seller. Yesterday, I watched across my stall, as she gently caressed the face of an old man seated beside her. I walked over to her and she introduced her husband. There’s another aunty who sells poh piah and she’s been checking on me too with advice. She told me of a former old lady who sold delicious nyonya rice dumplings and asked me to learn from my mother and live on the legacy. There's a sister Chin who sells noodles. She's given me several contacts for carpenters, electricians, locksmith.
The customers who came over and bought my food have been kind as well. One thing I’ve noticed is that they simply like walking into my kitchen and checking out what’s cooking, lifting wok covers.
I’ve not felt safer here than when I was in the corporate world.
My earnings for now may be slightly less than what it was. Yet, at the end of the day, after cooking a delicious dish, I feel blessed.

Thank you to all my wingless angels. You’re god send.

A TEXAN READ MY ARTICLE ON NOVEMBER 8, AND WROTE INTO STAR MAG.

Sunday November 8, 2009
Touched by article


I STUMBLED upon the article, Wingless angels (Heart & Soul, StarMag, Oct 25), and will now be reading more of your stories in your magazine because of it. I just want to say thanks for publishing the story that Lily wrote.

It was very touching; my heart goes out to the people mentioned in the article.

Lily is a good writer, and I want so much for her to make it! It’s nice to see that the compassion she and the others show towards one another is very much alive in the human spirit.

John, Texas

United States

0 comments: