Diary of a Rookie Hawker

9:51 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Today 25/10/09, I survived my first week of being a Nasi Lemak, Penang nyonya style hawker!
My article, a letter which I wrote out of gratitude to all who have helped me, was published in Star Mag, Heart and Soul, Wingless Angels.
Here is a list of things which i've gladly given up to become a hawker.
I no longer wear black and white or grey suits to work. They are tight, stuffy, dull and uncomfortable. I've changed to a flowery apron, cotton t-shirts and loose slacks.
I have discarded my high heels and court shoes for fake Crocs, as they are comfortable and I won't slip or fall on slippery, wet, floor.
I don't paint my face anymore with thick foundation or two way cake (to appear like a porcelain doll), instead my face has a natural glow from sweat, grease and is splattered with chilli, turmeric and curry.
I don't smell of perfume, citrus, pine, flowery or spicy, yet i find, i do smell more exotic, yes, of prawn paste (belacan)!
My colleagues are no longer company directors, CEOs, CMOs, COOs. They have become indian food seller, coconut juice seller, pan mee, chicken rice, bak kut teh, cantonese fried, poh pia/rojak, yong tau fu and fish head curry cooks!
I don't face the computer 9 hours a day anymore, but I face a hot wok! My eyes no longer strain. But my face is red and flushed! I'm so hot!
I don't sit in a freezing air condition room, wearing a winter coat as most offices turn on the air condition at full blast, contributing to green effect! I turn on a propeller fan and receive natural breeze from a well ventilated kitchen.
I no longer lie in bed awake from anxiety and guilt, worrying about what to say to an employee whom my boss intends to fire because of incompetence, knowing that this man may lose his bread and butter and a family to feed.
Instead, I sleep soundly now, because my conscience is clear, and I'm simply too tired!
Being a boiterous person, I'm no longer told to hold my voice in check and tone down. Instead I can laugh out loudly now, or sing to the tunes of Harry Belafonte as I cook!
I don't have to be ready with answers, solutions and opinions. It's good for a change to be less arrogant and just listen. For, as i bite my humble pie and ask for help, so many strangers have come forth. They have become my friends.
Today, when i excitedly wanted to share my article with a customer, i was looked upon with disdain, and with a gesture like swatting of a fly, i was told to leave. I pray to be more sensitive to treat sales men, hawkers, people asking for donation with more respect and patience. Just listen to what they have to say, they too need to earn a living.
My life has become more simple and I thank god for this refreshing change!

0 comments: